Thursday, April 16, 2009

So Here's The Thing

i made a pretty significant step in my life last weekend by spending my first holiday ever away from my family. i thought i was going to hate it but it actually turned out to be really fun. i had a choice between spending easter at home with my family and my church, or spending easter at st. mark's and getting paid a lot of money. i chose the money. is that bad? i sang at services on holy thursday, the easter vigil on saturday night, and two services on easter sunday. alison heather (a woman i sing with at st. mark's) was nice enough to put me up for the night on saturday and i had a really good time with her family. she is married and has two boys ages 5 and 8. they were in bed when i got there but they were still awake because they were so excited that i was coming over to their house. after i said goodnight to them alison and i put together their easter baskets and filled plastic eggs with candy. it was so fun! i'm glad to know that i can handle spending holidays away from my family. maybe this year i will be brave enough to do christmas eve at st. mark's too. we'll see. i've got a while to think about it.

in other news, it's going to be 72 degrees on saturday so katie and i are probably going to go to the zoo. i'm so excited!

1 comment:

LMsquaredG said...

I had my first Christmas away from my family this year, and while it was strange, I also had a good time with my friends, sharing a meal, some homemade gifts, and many movies. I think it's nice to know those days can still mean something, even if you're apart from your family, and there's something about becoming an adult that surfaces when you find out you can manage like that.

And don't feel bad about the money. The money will ensure you can afford to see your family at the next holiday gathering.