Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Molly's Big Summer of Super Amazing Fun!!


It’s summer, y’all.  And since I can't quit school and take two months off from work to follow the Heathers to Australia, I'm going to have to spend it entertaining myself.  I’ve got big plans. 

1. Spend some time in the sun, preferably daily
The reasoning behind this one is twofold: I have the complexion of an albino vampire, and I probably don’t get enough vitamin D. 

I’ve heard it all when it comes to my skin color; I’m clear, I’m blindingly white, if I ever get lost in the dark I won’t need a flashlight because I’ll have my legs, and so on.  There’s a heap of reasons for my pastiness, the two biggest being (a) the fact that if I spend even ten minutes in the sun, I fry like the Bloomin’ Onion at Outback Steakhouse, and (b) my strong aversion to shorts.  I really hate wearing shorts.  But, hopefully, if I coat myself in SPF 70 and get over the shorts thing, I will be able to build up my skin’s resistance to the sun and get a little color. 

The other reason for my newfound commitment to sunbathing is that it’s good for me.  It has been brought to my attention by my friends and my mom that vitamin D is important.  If I want to get through life without rickets, osteoporosis (I think I’m already genetically doomed there), depression, hyperparathyroidism (whatever that is) or fatigue (too late), I should probably get some ASAP.  Also, it just feels good to know that while I’m lounging in the sun, listening to This American Life and sipping lemonade, my body is absorbing nutrients all by itself.  It’s like eating healthy food or exercising without having to actually do anything. 

2. Watch the entire series of Battlestar Galactica
I know I’m kind of late to the party here, but just go with it.  We recently got Netflix at my house (Lappy just auto-capped Netflix for me, btw) and I intend to take advantage.  I do realize that this is in direct conflict with my previous goal of spending more time outside; I haven’t quite reconciled this yet.  I’m working on it.  I’ve been feeling bereft since Lost ended last year, and I think I’ve seen every episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation enough times to know all the dialogue, so it’s no longer exciting.  I need something new; it's either Battlestar Galactica or Dr. Who, and I think BG is a more realistic goal for the summer.  There are like twelve different iterations of Dr. Who, and approximately 2174839 episodes.  I would never finish it.  

3. Actually use the hula-hoop that is taking up valuable real estate in my bedroom
I have a weighted hula-hoop.  I’m actually quite good.  It is currently gathering dust in my bedroom, but I think it’s time for it to make a reappearance.  Maybe I can hoop-dance while I watch Battlestar Galactica.  I have no idea if it’s actually exercise, but in my head, it is.  And it’s fun, so I can trick myself into doing it. 

4. Pay my library fine
I owe them $98.00, and I’m too ashamed to go pay it.  I haven’t been in the library for over a year now.  This needs to end. 

So that’s the plan.  I’ve already bought some shorts, which I think is a good start.  Grammar class in NYC tomorrow after work, and I plan to get there early enough to sit in Bryant Park and eat a sandwich while watching 100-plus people take the free yoga class that's offered on the lawn every Thursday evening.  Yoga is a great spectator sport.   

3 comments:

melissa said...

i want your summer..

Tommie Lou said...

instead of watching yoga, why don't you try it? Vitamin D and weight bearing exericse will really give you strong bones.

Lah said...

whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 98 dollars?!?1/!?1!?!/??!!/qwertyuiop[]\?!?!?!