Saturday, August 6, 2011

Summer Update: Best-Laid Plans Go Awry as Super-Cool New Blog Idea Takes Over

Just thought I would drop in and let you know how it’s going.  So far, pretty much everything on my list from the previous post has been replaced with something else.  The best-laid plans… 

I had originally intended to sunbathe every day, watch the whole series of Battlestar Galactica, use my hula-hoop, and pay my library fine.  Instead, I’ve found myself learning to play the ukulele, watching Game of Thrones, rejoining my gym, and working on a completely new and separate blog, to be launched soon!  (Don’t worry, Nerd Thoughts isn’t going anywhere.  I love talking about myself too much to drop it.) 

My next post will introduce the new blog to everyone; I think it’s a pretty slammin’ idea, and I really hope you all will check it out.  In the meantime, here’s what happened to me last night:

So as lots of you know, I’ve been housesitting every weekend in NY state for some friends of mine who are spending the summer in Australia.  They live in this really cool old farmhouse, and they have two indoor/outdoor cats—Lamu and Zeya.  Last night, I was sitting on the couch when Zeya trotted up to me carrying one of her toy mice.  Thinking she wanted me to throw it for her (as she sometimes does) I reached down for it, but she kind of shied away from me and ran under the piano bench.

I heard her batting it around for a while, but it wasn’t until the batting noises were joined by some frantic squeaks that I realized it wasn’t a toy mouse.  IT WAS A REAL MOUSE.  And it was alive.  She walked right up to me with a live mouse in her mouth, and I almost reached out and took it because I thought it was her toy.  And the worst part was that she wouldn’t kill it; she just kept playing with it.  It finally ran under the couch, and I took both cats out of the room and shut the door, and went to bed.  I haven’t seen it yet today, so hopefully it escaped.  If it curled up somewhere and died from it’s injuries, then the atmosphere in the sitting room may become increasingly unpleasant over the next few days.  Especially in this heat. 


Curious in Fla. said...

So Molls, what ever happened with the mouse?

Molly said...

It was never seen again... so far. I think it got away.