Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fail

Today I wanted to write a blog post, but my brain was like: "No!"  So instead I'm writing a list of movies who's endings traumatized me so much the first time I saw them that I can never watch them again.

Armageddon 
The only part of this movie that I can clearly remember is that scene at the end where Bruce Willis changes places with Liv Tyler's boyfriend at the last second, and is all "Take care of my daughter" or something like that, and then basically just sits down on the asteroid and waits to run out of oxygen, or for the asteroid to explode, whatever comes first.  I did not see that coming. 

This might be traumatizing to me because one of my biggest fears is dying alone in outer space.  I'm not sure why this scares me so much.  I'm pretty sure I will never be in outer space.  Unless NASA suddenly starts accepting extremely under-qualified musicians with vague aspirations towards the library sciences field into their astronaut program.  

The Goonies
I don't even remember why this movie scared me.  I just know that it was bad.  And I never want to see it again.  Call me un-American, call me a traitor to my generation, just don't call me into the room if this movie is on tv.  

Titanic 
Even though I was fully aware of how this one would end, it still scared the crap out of me.  Again, (I'm sensing a theme here), one of my biggest fears is being in extremely deep water with no idea as to what could possibly be lurking under me.  Just the thought that any minute I could look over and see a huge whale or maybe a shark is enough to keep me out of the deep end of the pool.  And don't even get me started on those aquariums that have the big underground windows where you can see into the tanks.  I live in mortal terror of the sperm whale display at the Natural History Museum.  


Deep Impact
Space disaster, end of the world, huge tidal wave.  Enough said.  


E.T.
Don't laugh, you guys.  This movie made me so sad that I cried hysterically for two hours after it was over, and had to have my mom sleep in my bed with me that night.  Never again.  


So now you know what a wuss I am, all thanks to my lazy brain who couldn't come up with a good idea for a post. 

1 comment:

Chris Ellmann said...

Goonies.. Yeah, I remember seeing it with my friend Howie in the theater. We were 7 or 8. He had a deal with his parents that if he didn't have bad dreams, he could get a parakeet. It's one of my all-time favorite movies, so don't worry, my fanboy-ness balances out yer dislike.

ET. Evidentally, I freaked out when I saw it as a little kid and had to leave the theater. I don't remember having seen it.

On the other hand, I remember being all sorts of horrified when Bambi's mom died.

I always feel kinda shell-shocked by the end of Seven Samurai and Ride the High Country (two of my alltime fav movies) - though they both end "well" they've got a whole lot of heavy involved. In the case of the former, 3 and a half hours of it. Heat's like that too.

Most of my serious movie traumas come from the start and middle of movies. Can't really think of any endings that really caused distress.

Oh wait, The Usual Suspects. Not a trauma, more of a massive dose of "seriously, what the hell?" followed by going back to the start and watching it again, trying to follow what I missed.