Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Frog blog

 These are my frogs before I moved them to a more spacious aquarium.  Cute little buggers, aren't they?


Have I mentioned lately that I have two frogs?  Well, I do.  For all those out there who have been 
living under a rock since Christmas, they are African Dwarf frogs, their names are Pork and Beans, and recently I moved them from their tiny plastic cube into a nice tank that has plants and pretty gravel.  The latest addition to the tank was a water filter, and I'm afraid that it might have had a really negative effect on the them.  Ever since I put it in the tank, all they do is hide.  They have not been eating, they have changed to a really light color and because of the lack of food, they have shrunk (weird).  I know what you're thinking- just turn the filter off!  I had the same thought about four days ago, so I did.  They have eaten a couple of times since then, but they haven't changed back to their normal color and are still really lethargic.  I'm afraid I've done irreparable damage.  I was really hoping that I could keep these guys alive.  Some of you know about my abysmal track record with fish (4-7 has seen many toilet funerals) and I thought I was doing the right thing by moving the frogs to a better environment but I might have killed them.  I'm not really that attached to them (they're frogs; they are not furry or snuggly and they don't exactly love you back) but I feel responsible for their lives and I really don't want them to die.  They have no control over what happens to them.  It's all me.  And I'm really trying to not screw it up. 

3 comments:

Chris Ellmann said...

I've got an aquarium. Warm non-salty water. Water filter. etc. Small tropical fish. Standard life expectancy: 2 years. Some have lived 5 years so far. Some haven't survived a week after I got em. No advice for you, just commiseration. Hope it works out and they come back ok..

Megan said...

molly, what's the update on the kermits? i wish i had some advice for you, but i've never had a frog. i did have a turtle once... but, not the same!

Molly said...

They're hanging in there...still not moving around too much but their color seems a bit more normal this morning. We'll see what happens...